The Hunt Laboratory is a research partner for Australian organisations seeking to improve analytical performance and productivity.
Why Partner with Hunt?
Intelligence organisations face a range of internal and external capability challenges. Strengthening analytical capability, for example, asks:
- How to develop the expertise of analytical staff efficiently
- How to identify and introduce practical new methods and tools
- How to rigorously evaluate the quality of intelligence work
- How to adapt to a rapidly a changing information environment, and
- How to assess the impact of initiatives aimed at improving capability.
To help organisations deal with such challenges, the Hunt Lab has:
- Australia’s largest multi-disciplinary research team focused specifically on intelligence analysis
- Experience working with intelligence organisations and managing security issues, and
- An integrated research capability drawing on expertise from the University of Melbourne and other tertiary institutions, both in Australia and overseas.
As a non-profit academic organisation with strong industry relationships, Hunt operates according to the following principles:
- Using rigorous scientific methods, and making evidence-based recommendations
- Conducting forward-looking research, aimed at adaptation to a changing intelligence environment
- Integrating academic research with organisations’ insights and know-how
- Sharing research outcomes with all the organisations we work with, and through academic channels, where appropriate
- Developing long-term R&D partnerships with intelligence organisations.
Our Research Areas
Hunt Lab research is currently focused on:
- Improving analytic reasoning and judgement
- Evaluation quality of analytic products
- Developing high performance intelligence teams
- Analytic methods (e.g. SATs) and their evaluation, and
- Crowdsourcing intelligence.
Professional Development Services
Hunt provides services aimed at developing analytical expertise, including:
- The Hunt Challenge. Annual online tournament in analytic reasoning (see below)
- Immersive workshops. Using the Hunt Platform, we provide intensive team-based workshops which promote analytical and collaboration skills.
- Customised training. We develop and deliver advanced training in skills such as argument construction and evaluation.